Monday, October 5, 2015

October 5, 2015 - In which we go the philharmonic and eagerly await General Conference

Dear family,

Last week went pretty well! It seems like a lot more than a week has gone by since we last wrote. Tuesday we had Zone Conference, which we really enjoyed. I think learned a lot. We talked a lot about planning, and with what we learned and what we've been studying since then Elder Dean and I have been putting focus on the individuals that we're working with and doing less calendaring and more focused on what we can do to help people progress in the gospel. It's been helping me to love the people more to be consciously thinking about planning in that with a focus on each individual and what we can do each day to help them.

After training the zone leaders came back with us to Zlín for exchanges. All four of us were here in Zlín. I was with Elder Brittner, who is a group ahead of me and Elder Dean was with Elder Kleiner. We had a good exchange and taught a lot during the time we were all together. We were really blessed to meet with J last Tuesday after English, and especially to have the branch president there. It seems like he had been stressed lately and worried about the future, but we testified about how the Lord supports us. We talked a bit about baptism and we invited him to try and get his own answer about when will be right by counseling with God about it through prayer. It seems like he's continuing to think a lot about it, though.

Otherwise we've been focusing on trying to find, find, find. We managed to find two new investigators last week. We're still working with Sister D, and we're also making a very conscious effort to work more with the branch. We weren't able to meet with D again.

Before I forget we also had culture night last week. Thursday night we went to the philharmonic. It was a great concert! We listened to Dvořák, Bruch, and Beethoven; Dvořák and Bruch were my favorite, but especially Bruch was excellent because of the soloist Vadim Gluzman. We saw the opening concert of their 70th concert season so it was a big to-do. Before the beginning of the concert they baptized their new CD by sprinkling some champagne on it. There was a Catholic priest and everything :)

We're really excited for general conference! We haven't heard much about it yet, but President sent a text to everyone telling us to watch the beginning of the Saturday morning session to see who the new apostles would be. We were busy when it was being broadcasted live, so a couple hours later we tried watching it only long enough to see that the new apostles hadn't been announced and to copy the first four talks to our phone. President Uchtdorf's talk was GREAT, especially because the past couple of days I've been overthinking a lot. I've been worrying about what I say to people, what Elder Dean says to people, and a million other things. I'm thinking about who I want to become but mostly instead of seeing where I want to go I've been seeing my character flaws that would be keeping me from getting wherever spiritual place I want to be going. His talk was perfect, though, and I'm excited to hear the rest of the talks.

I'm about out of time again, but thank you so much for the letters and the support! I hope that you all have a great week and wish all the best.

Love,
Elder Boyce

This was the concert hall right when everyone was filing out. It was a great concert! We listened to Dvořák, Bruch, and Beethoven; Dvořák and Bruch were my favorite, but especially Bruch was excellent because of the soloist Vadim Gluzman. We saw the opening concert of the 70th concert season of our local philharmonic so it was a big to-do. Before the beginning of the concert they baptized their new CD by sprinkling some champagne on it. There was a Catholic priest and everything :)

Our district, Elder Croney, Elder Geier, Elder Suwyn, Elder Dean, and I. It was a little difficult to try and get this photo because the first person we asked to take our photo thought we were trying to contact them! Oh, well :)

Ooh ahh the pretty fountain

The outside of the philharmonic. From an aerial view it's meant to look like a single-celled aquatic organism!

No comments:

Post a Comment