Monday, November 3, 2014

November 3, 2014 - In which we are inspired to find families

Dear family,

Last week was great! Elder Cowley and I both worked really hard and a lot of things went on. We had a really inspiring training on Tuesday. I loved pretty much everything about it, and we've been working hard this week to implement things from it, particularly about finding families.

We've had huge success this past week with putting a bigger focus on finding families and I'd say it's shown a different face to this area. I can hardly tell you all of the things that have had an impact but we have been having a lot of success! We were able to teach a less-active member's grandchildren, we have a return appointment at a family's home later this week, we were able to visit another less-active family, we've been inviting the Spirit into our contacts by talking to people about their families and our families, and on and on and it's been so wonderful! I think what really sums up our experiences with families this week is what one of the assistants to the president said at training that we are not trying to split up families (teach individuals and just hope that the family will be okay with it), but we are trying to seal them with restored priesthood power. Trying to find families opens opportunities for helping so many more people than just one individual at a time.

We were able to teach some really great lessons last, week, also. One YSA, J, was really great. He (somehow) found out about English a couple of weeks ago, came to our Intro to Mormonism class, was interested to find out more about the Plan of Salvation, and set up. We met with him twice last week, and he is excited to get baptized on the 20th of December! He just absorbs every minute detail of what we teach (or what he reads) and he (to borrow how Elder Cowley says it) glows during our meetings. He's very prepared to accept the gospel.

The miracle people from last week, R, A, and T, are doing alright. I'm not sure how R and T are related (and A isn't related by blood), but they introduce themselves as all being part of the same family. They have different levels of interest; R and A the most and T the least. R and A are very interesting because they are interested enough, but learn very simply and it's a big adjustment in our teaching style.

Last week we went really crazy and worked hard to try and teach twenty lessons. We had all of them set up, but at 5pm on Sunday the 20th lesson fell through and we were unable to find another. I feel pretty satisfied, though, because we worked until the very last second to try and find the last one.

I feel like in general I was quite a bit more diligent and excited last week, which I am glad about. I felt like I was keeping up with Elder Cowley much better, at least, and sometimes I was even able to be a good example.

I have lots more that I could talk to you about, because we saw even more miracles last week than I really have the chance to talk to you about. I had some great studies and I really felt my testimony grow over the past week. To make a long story short, I grew a lot this week and families are really great.

Love,
Elder Boyce


PS Today for P-day Elder Cowley and I visited Hluboká nad Vltavou! (I visited there last transfer with T and Elder Jaynes to see the Alphonse Mucha exhibit). The castle was closed today, but we didn't have a lot of time, anyway, and the fall colours and weather were great! There should be a lot of photos on the blog.




Views in town

Looking down on the back of the church above.
The next pictures are from the castle Hluboká nad Vltavou.



Elder Cowley and Daniel

The gardens of the castle



No, vengeance hasn't quite arrived! It's supposedly coming though.


Staircase on the porch of the castle.

I really like the above photo :) That's the porch on the castle.



I was really excited about the fall colours!! (True Southern CA boy having never really seen fall colours!)



No comments:

Post a Comment